Facebook is the world’s largest social media platform with billions of users. People share tons of videos daily on Facebook, ranging from cute pet clips to meaningful events to funny fails. You may come across a lot of videos on Facebook that you wish to save for offline viewing. But is it possible to download Facebook videos?
The answer is yes! While Facebook doesn’t have an official “Download” button, there are workarounds to save videos from Facebook to your device storage. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the various methods to download videos from Facebook in full quality.
Why Download Facebook Videos?
Here are some common reasons you may want to download videos from Facebook:
- Offline viewing: To watch your saved videos later without an internet connection.
- Save memories: Download a special video to cherish meaningful moments and events.
- Avoid missing out: Download videos that may get deleted or lost on Facebook.
- Share via messaging: Easily forward downloaded videos through messaging apps and email.
- Video editing: Use downloaded videos to make compilations, add effects, trim or merge.
Is It Legal to Download Facebook Videos?
This is an important question to address. Facebook’s Terms of Service prohibits users from downloading videos posted by others without permission.
You are only allowed to download videos:
- Uploaded by yourself
- Shared with you by the uploader
- Where you have acquired licenses or rights to use
The downloaded videos are strictly for personal non-commercial use. You should avoid redistributing, editing or selling videos without explicit rights. Illegal downloading and copyright infringement can lead to termination of your Facebook account.
In summary, it is technically possible to download any video off Facebook, but doing so for videos you don’t own rights for goes against their policies. We recommend sticking to downloading your own videos and those you have permission for.
Methods to Download Facebook Videos
Now let’s get into the various methods and step-by-step instructions to download videos from Facebook.
Downloading Facebook Videos on Desktop
Downloading videos uploaded to Facebook is easy if you are on a desktop or laptop browser. Here are two popular methods:
Method 1: Using an Online Downloader Site
This is the simplest way to download Facebook videos on your Windows PC or Mac. Follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook video on your browser and copy the URL from the address bar. It should be in a format like:
- Next, open an online video downloader site like SaveFrom.net or KeepVid. Paste the copied video URL into the prompt box.
- Hit Download. You’ll see a list of available video quality options for download. Select your preferred resolution like 720p HD or 1080p.
- The site will start processing the video file. In a few seconds, you can download the video in the selected quality. Easy!
The advantages of using an online downloader are:
- Super simple and fast process
- No software installation required
- Lets you pick video resolution before downloading
Just ensure that the site you use is safe and not spammy. Preferably use reputed downloaders like SaveFrom and KeepVid.
Method 2: Using Facebook’s Video Source Code
This method involves digging through the Facebook video page source code to extract the direct video file URL. Follow these steps:
- Open the video page on Facebook. Right click anywhere on the video playback screen and select Inspect Element (Ctrl + Shift + C on Windows).
- This will open your browser’s Developer Tools window showing the page source code. Look for a
<video>tag in the code.
- In the
<video>tag attributes, copy the value of the
srcparameter. This is the direct download link of the MP4 video file.
- Paste this video source URL into the browser address bar and hit enter. The video will start downloading immediately in the best available quality.
While this process needs a few extra steps compared to using an online downloader, the benefit is you get the maximum resolution supported for that video without any third-party sites involved.
Downloading Facebook Videos on Mobile
You will need to take a different approach for downloading Facebook videos on your Android or iOS mobile devices.
Most Android phones support downloading videos directly from the Facebook app. Just follow these steps:
- Launch the Facebook app and open the video post you want to save.
- Tap on the three-dot More menu at the top right corner.
- Choose the Copy Link option. This copies the video URL to your clipboard.
- Now install a free video downloader app from Google Play Store. Some good options are Video Downloader, Videoder, and Snaptube.
- Open the downloader app and paste the copied video link. Select video quality and hit download.
The video will be saved to your Android device gallery. Some downloader apps even let you extract audio from Facebook videos.
On iPhone and iPad:
Apple doesn’t allow third-party apps to download media from other platforms. But you can still save Facebook videos with just the iPhone’s built-in tools. Follow these steps:
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone or iPad and open the video.
- Tap on the downward arrow Share icon below the video.
- Choose Copy Link from the share sheet. This copies the video URL to clipboard.
- Now open the Documents app by Readdle. This free file manager for iOS supports video downloads.
- In Documents, tap the download icon and choose Video in the prompt.
- Paste the copied Facebook video URL and tap Download. The video will be saved to your iCloud Drive or iOS device storage.
And that’s it! With just the Facebook app and Documents file manager app, you can download videos on your iPhone or iPad.
Downloading Long Videos from Facebook
Sometimes when you try to download longer videos (over 20 minutes), Facebook splits them into multiple chunks or segments. This is to make video uploading and streaming easier.
So if you want to download the full-length version of a long video, you have to individually download each segment and then merge them together.
Check for multiple video URLs on online downloaders or in the Facebook page source code for long videos. Download each part separately, preferably in the highest available resolution.
Troubleshooting Facebook Video Downloads
Here are some common download issues and fixes:
|Only audio is downloading
|The video was natively uploaded as audio-only. Try downloading on desktop to confirm.
|Video has no sound
|Check if source video was muted or shared without audio.
|Can’t download HD quality
|Upload quality limits options. Download from desktop for max quality.
|Download stops midway
|Pause and resume download, or use a download manager.
|“Private video” error
|Video is private and needs uploader permission to download.
|Link copying doesn’t work
|Update the Facebook app to latest version.
|iOS download fails
|Use Documents app v5.2 or above. Allow access to Clipboard in Settings.
Accessing Your Downloaded Facebook Videos
By default, downloaded Facebook videos get saved to these locations on each device:
- Windows: Videos folder in the File Explorer
- Mac: Movies folder
- Android: Gallery app or folder chosen in downloader app
- iPhone/iPad: Files app under iCloud Drive or On My iPhone storage
You can also choose custom save locations before starting a download.
Manage your downloads like normal video files. You can delete, move, rename, share and edit them as needed after downloading from Facebook.
7 Best Facebook Video Downloaders
While all the methods work, you can consider dedicated Facebook video downloader tools for added convenience. Here are the top 7 apps and extensions:
|4K Video Downloader
|Downloads entire albums, playlists or channels. Supports 4K quality.
|Browser extension with one-click downloads.
|1-Click Facebook Video Download
|Download videos off Facebook pages with one click.
|Download from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram etc. Extracts audio.
|Documents by Readdle
|Manages downloads on iPhone and iPad.
|Web-based so works across platforms. No software required.
|Simple and fast web tool to paste link and download.
These dedicated tools take away the complexity of copying video URLs and inspecting page source code. Just paste the Facebook post link and download videos easily.
Facebook hosts millions of amazing videos ranging from fun pet antics to memorable weddings and graduations. You have the option to save these videos for personal memories or share them offline.
We explored in detail how to download Facebook videos on both desktop and mobile devices using online downloader sites, source code inspection and video downloader apps.
Remember to avoid downloading others’ videos without permission as per Facebook’s policies. We hope this guide helped you learn how you can easily save videos posted by yourself and friends for offline use. Keep watching and downloading!